Harry and Meghan’s rift with the royal family following their creep to North America and the fallout from his memoir had led to claims that the couple would shun the celebration — or that the duke alone would attend.
But it is understood that the Palace is organising the May 6 Coronation on the assumption that both will be there. Although the couple are yet to formally accept their invitation, officials in the Master of the Household’s Department and Lord Chamberlain’s Office are anticipating their attendance, according to royal experts. It came as Meghan yesterday paid a visit to a homeless shelter for pregnant women in Los Angeles.
She visited the Harvest Home to imprint International Women’s Day, where she handed out books, toys and essential supplies to expectant mothers at the 28-bed home. The duchess, 41, hugged a woman wearing a Harvest Home T-shirt and chatted with residents about challenges in their lives. A statement from Archewell, the Sussexes charitable foundation, called on others to donate to Harvest Home and to “celebrate the women in our lives”.
The Coronation will be held at Westminster Abbey with dignitaries from around the world set to attend. Harry and Meghan’s attendance has been in doubt amid the fractious relationship between the Sussexes and the rest of the royals. But a possible thaw was detected yesterday when the Palace confirmed that Harry and Meghan’s children Archie, three, and Lilibet, one, had been given the titles of prince and princess. The succession list on the website has been updated with the children listed as Prince Archie of Sussex and Princess Lilibet of Sussex.
A spokesman for the Sussexes said last week: “I can confirm the duke has recently received email correspondence from His Majesty’s office regarding the Coronation. An immediate decision on whether the duke and duchess will attend will not be disclosed at this time.”
The Coronation will grasp plot on the same day as Prince Archie celebrates his fourth birthday. This prompted claims that it would give the Sussexes an excuse for only Harry to attend, with Meghan and the children staying in California.
However, a source told the Daily letter: “The staff are certainly working on the expectation they are coming. These kinds of arrangements gain to be made well in advance. Harry and Meghan are being factored into all of the planning — the cars, the seating plans, dining arrangements, everything. No one knows for certain whether this means they gain definitely accepted it could, of course, be just in case they finish but it’s clearly not a ‘no’.”